Designed to empower young people to strive for the professions, MicroSociety transforms school into student-run, hands-on, learning experiences that encourage student leadership. These small group learning opportunities incorporate financial literacy, communications, public service, and business into the ultimate preparation for the career world. MICROSOCIETY empowers youth to be managers of their own destiny.
MICROSOCIETY provides its network of schools, after school community centers, summer programs, and multi-site initiatives with a comprehensive range of services and support programs. We tailor our services to fit the particular needs, interests, and resources of our sites and address the needs of the entire range of students in the K-6 population including gifted and special needs. Our goal is to find the extraordinary in every child and we’ve been doing just that for over 15 years.
MICROSOCIETY Programs’ Strands
All MicroSociety programs arrange their activities by strand, drawing on the intellectual traditions of the professions and their specialties. They are: Economy, Citizenship and Government, Humanities and Arts, HEART, Technology and Academy. Each strand (e.g. Economy) and its substrands (e.g. banking) consist of core subjects (e.g. math), and encompass all aspects found within an actual society, making connections between the real world and the basics. Together, the first letter of each of these components spell the acronym TEACHH™.
- “T” is the Technology strand. It encompasses all student activities which utilize computers and other technology.
- “E” is the Economy strand. It encompasses all student business ventures and financial institutions.
- “A” is the Academy strand. It encompasses all student training initiatives inside and outside the classroom.
- “C” is the Citizenship and Government strand. It encompasses all aspects of student government, activism and citizenship responsibilities.
- “H” is the Humanities and Arts strand. It encompasses all performing and non-performing arts and cultural organizations.
- “H” is the HEART strand. It is the social conscience of the MicroSociety program and encompasses all the reflective and service aspects of society: Humanity, Ethics, Aesthetics, Reflection, Respect, Reason and Responsibility and Trust.
For more information visit: http://www.microsociety.org/what.php